Sunday 30 June 2024

Southern Scotland - Backpacking another section of the Southern Upland Way

Last May I backpacked a section of the Southern Upland Way from Glen Trool village to Sanquhar. I enjoyed it so much that I was really eager to walk the next section during one of my May holiday weeks this year. So I was back in Sanquhar to pick up where I left off. Since last year, I have been trying to understand why I found this walk so enjoyable because it largely avoids all of the stunning scenery that Scotland has to offer. Instead it forms a meandering line through lots of unremarkable places as it climbs over grassy hills, wanders along quiet glens and crosses high pasture. Yet somehow the whole is so much greater than the sum of its parts. These quiet places bring a sense of peace and solitude, and for long sections you don't pass through any significant habitations or cross any roads which gives you the feeling of being completely cut-off from the outside world. It's utterly beguiling and so different from anywhere else. I absolutely love it. This year's section took me east from Sanquhar and into the Scottish Borders at its main town, Galashiels. Here are some highlights from the walk.

From Sanquhar, I climbed up into low grassy hills, walking an old coffin road through to Wanlockhead. I had a lovely camp spot up here at the old ruin of Cogshead farm, said to be a hideout for Covenanters in the days of their persecution. It sits beside a small wood but is also close to sheep pasture so the morning and evening birdsong was a beautiful mix of woodland birds like blackbirds, robins and warblers alongside farmland species like snipe, skylarks and curlew. 

Beyond here, the Way climbs to its highest point in the remote Lowther Hills. The grassy path undulates pleasingly for miles along the tops before dropping down to Potrail Water which becomes the River Clyde further downstream. Just beyond here, I pitched the tent for the second night out, looking back towards my route over the Lowther Hills. The evening was again bathed in birdsong and the next morning shrouded by a veil of low lying list. 

The route doesn't shy away from going up and over the hills when it wants to so next was another stiff climb above Daer Reservoir over Sweetshaw Brae, Hods Hill and Beld Knowe. What a view from up here. Nothing and nobody for miles all around.

The Way then dropped into forestry to begin a long descent towards Moffat. On the map this section looked like a long walk through commercial plantation but as I said in last year's blog, even where it looks like this on the map, the route often surprises on the ground. So there were pockets of native woodland scattered on the hillsides while the route used mostly an old path that was still lined by broadleaf trees. The effect was lovely and the calls of cuckoos filled the air. 

Where the Way popped out of the woods, it joined a quiet back road known as Witches Wate as it was said witches lay in wait here and those passing always carried a rowan tree branch to ward them off. The Southern Upland Way doesn't go into Moffat but passes to the south. I made a short detour into town though to stock up on supplies. My original plan had been to use a camp site here for a night but even this wee town was too busy for me and I was desperate to be back out on the trail.

Beyond Moffat, the route climbed into the hills again with an ascent of Croft Head. Dense mist obscured the steep drop below my feet as I traversed along the ridge. Luckily it cleared as I began the descent to open up a view of Capel Fell and the deep gouge in its side, worn through by a millenium of running water. 

The path continued through a twisty, tight pass to pop out in the Ettrick Valley. It was wonderful to spend a relaxing couple of hours sitting in the sun, making tea and drying out kit at Over Phawhope bothy before a long road walk down the glen. It was a quiet road but with little shade from a hot afternoon sun. This was the spell in May when the weather was very briefly summer-like.

Eventually the route left the road and climbed again to travel along the ridge of Pikestone Rig. The high level, grassy path made for a wonderful evening walk in golden sunshine that bathed the hills all around. At the end of the ridge, I found probably my favourite camp spot of the trip beside the ruin of Riskinhope. A grassy knoll above the river made a perfect spot for the tent. Trees grew from the walls of the old house and the adjacent land was parceled up by ancient stone walls. It all gave the spot a very pleasant sense of place.

The next morning I dropped down from Riskinhope to St Mary's Loch where the route hugged the south shore on a very pretty woodland path before climbing into the hills at Dryhope Tower. Dating from the 1500s, the tower was designed to provide some security for local families from the raiders and reivers of the day.


The Southern Upland Way was heading now towards familiar territory for me as it crossed low hills to Traquhair. This was a lovely section, following grassy tracks over the tops of the hills and opening up big, views before joining what felt like an ancient lane, lined by knarly, old hawthorn trees. 

From Traquhair, there was the usual steep climb up Minchmoor, the old Borders drove road. I love this route because once the hard work is done to get onto the top of the ridgeline, you can enjoy an airy, undulating amble for miles. I made my last camp of the trip about halfway along the ridge.

Although I know this part of the Way well, it was interesting to walk it as part of a bigger trip to see how it dovetails with the rest of the route and to approach it after several days on foot. It did feel different, although the Three Brethren still greeted me of course at the far end of the ridge. These huge cairns date from the 16th century and mark the boundary of the three estates that meet here - Selkirk, Philiphaugh and Yair. 

The Southern Upland Way now descends through woods to Yair then makes a pleasant traverse of rolling farmland to Galashiels. But it had a surprise for me before I got there. As I said above, I know this section well but I had never walked it in May so I had no idea that the woods at Fairnilee had a stunning carpet of bluebells in early summer. 

Galashiels is one of the Borders' major towns and it was a bit of a shock to the system arriving here after the peace of the last few days. The shock was softened however by enjoying a tub of ice cream and a cold drink in the square before catching the train home. 

Fact File

More photos on Flickr
Start: Sanquhar using the Glasgow to Dumfries train.
Finish: Galashiels using the Borders railway back to Edinburgh.
Route: The Southern Upland Way is well described online and signposted on the ground. There is a small shop in Sanquhar, a good sized Co-op supermarket in Moffat and pretty much everything the hiker could possibly want in Galashiels.


No comments:

Post a Comment